Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I'm going to the realtormentor tomorrow.

It's going to be one of those moments in my life where I have to be my scary-mother...assertive.
I realized that whenever I'm put into a business situation, I do very well.
I guess that's a good thing, but at the same time it makes me feel sort of grimy.

Bleck.

Anyway, I've found this artist that I like, but to be honest, I know I only enjoy her work because she's COMPLETELY ripping off Jamie Hewlett. And I have, as Maxwell or Alex would call "a raging boner" for Jamie Hewlett. Both for being a nutcase, and for his artwork.
I can honestly say he's one of my favorite artists ever.

Either way, this artist's name is Lora, her work is neat, even when her work looks like it's made for the sake of copying his style and work exactly. I'm not saying this to insult her work, or her, but that's just how it is.
Here's a real crappy example;
The eyes, pencil-work, details like the banana, cigarette, "Boogie Smoke", the sharp, but somewhat dirty feel, and just overall picture made me feel like it was a piece of Hewlett's work, that I just didn't see yet.

















This girl here just blatantly reminds me of Tank girl. Attitude, the objects behind her, outfit, and even hair. That and the addition of her sitting on anything with wheels or an engine, not to mention that these little buggers are usually held with a positive-feeling excitement of adventure and just running around like it's a plaything. I'm not saying any of this is bad, I like them, I said that before. I'm just blown away how similar these are. When I saw them, I had to check the name twice. Haha.

Jamie Hewlett:





I realized that the pictures I was finding online weren't the ones I had in mind at all, and I don't have the ability to scan my books right now. Maybe one day I'll go back to this topic and flood all of your lovely lives with the work of Mr. Hewlett. (Next Issue?!) Either way, the style of Hewlett is no shining star of originality, but he defiantly has his own mark, attitude, and structure.

Either way, I do enjoy Lora's artwork, she has some neat pieces that aren't as heavily influenced by Hewlett, and her graffiti work is real stellar. Her use of the environment around her pieces, and where they are placed are really what make it super rad. I think I would enjoy her stuff a lot more if it felt more like hers. Maybe someday soon she'll figure out a way to stylize her work, so sure, it can still be influenced (seriously, who's work isn't?) but really look like her own style.




SO! I like her, I appreciate her work, but more so when it looks like her own.
I really love the two posted right here.
I think I've decided I'm gong to go more in-depth about Jamie Hewlett, Tank Girl, and Gorillaz next time. Either way, I get to finally talk about new (and old!) artists I've found out about. There will be some catch up on my favorites, but I'll keep it real, don't you worry.

Catch you guys on the flip side.
-CM!

No comments: