Sunday, May 10, 2009

I had a great time at the Sidewalk Sale!


Yessiiiiree!
I sold quite a bit, and made many new, wonderful connections with shoppers, other artists, and collectors. The only casting piece I have left was my bronze hand. It's marked at $120 at the moment, and took over 15 hours to make.



I got a lovely gift for my mother,
it was a water-cast alluminum necklace that this amazing artist, and person, Dennis Svornos, made. The technique is highly toxic, but when handled correctly, it can be treated safely, and the results are fucking fanonminal. Here are some pictures of the fronts and backs of it. He sold it to me for $20. I thuroughly enjoy his work. Maybe as time goes on, I'll give one of my spotty reviews on him.

Raleigh and I are driving to Connecticut in a few hours, Steve and I just kind of decided to join her to surprize my mother and grandmother. I need to figure out a gift for my grandmother. I got a great tea/sake set for my grandfather, for father's day. I know there were things at the sale that my grandmother would have loved, but I feel as though that there was something better for her out there that I could afford. I might drop by urban renewals right before we leave to get her something. Everytime I'm in there, I see something she'd love. As for my father, I know I'll find him something neat.
I gave away one of my pieces today, well, yesterday (this blog started at 5:45am, I walked away for a bit, showered, dressed myself; all that good stuff) to a newly engaged couple (I stress newly, they had literally just proposed moments beforehand) to bring them happiness and security in their new home (life) together. I gave them
my safety home, which was a huge symbol and reaccuring image/drawing of mine first semester. I've tried very hard to break away from it, since I feel as though it would become more harmful than helpful to me if I held on too long. It was a piece that I hoped if given to someone, they would find happiness in it.
I really felt like they should have it.


:)


Either way, the weekend was a huge success, and I can't wait for next year! Thanks to all of those who came out!

-CM!

16 comments:

A. Krokus said...

I've never seen that house. Or at least, I don't remember it very well.

It is loved.

* said...

When I was in nursery school, we took clear plastic drinking cups and put glitter in them. The teacher then put the cups on a tray and placed them in an oven. The oven was set at a low temperature, and the cups melted and melded with the sparkles. The result was something like the water-cast aluminum piece, but clear, plastic, and sparkly.

A hole was drilled into the sparkling globs, and they were affixed to trees with loops of colored yarn. Consequently, there was much merry-making.

Chelsea Maida said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsea Maida said...

:)
I hope you enjoy it,
and thank you.
I love you.
(You you you you you.)

You are the reason I keep making.
I hope you keep safety and joy in your home, forever.

-CM!

Chelsea Maida said...

And that glitter and cup project sounds amazing.
I'll be trying it tomorrow.
:)
-CM!

* said...

I hope it's not too late - I stopped by to tell you that there were very small, clear, colored beads in the plastic cup too. These are even more important than the sparkles! Don't put too many sparkles, or too many anything. It's gotta be mostly cup.

It will probably take a few tries, but you'll get something cool. I have one from nursery school that looks like a sombrero sculpted by Salvador Dali. Another looks like a magic croissant.

Tell me how it goes!

* said...

Hi. I came to report that I melted a cup. Just one. No glitter, and the beads were opaque. Just what I had around.

I put it in at about 250 for 20 minutes or so. It looked cool, I poked at it with a screwdriver, but the beads weren't melty, so I overdid it and it lost its cool shape. It turned into a boring blob with lots of loose beads inside, like an ugly maraca, so I broke it open with a hammer to get them out. But I learned something. :^/

Chelsea Maida said...

Do you have any pictures?
I'd love to see.
I've been searching for cups around my house, none to be found so far.
If I don't find any when I come home from CT, then I'll be buying some.

I'll post pictures!

* said...

Hi. I'm not sure I was clear about the cups - they should be the disposable kind that are crystal clear, and would crack if you squeezed them too much, rather than bend. Transparent, not translucent. The use of other types of cup may result in great tragedy.

I didn't take pictures of the recent attempt, and I smashed it with a hammer, so... :/ Maybe I can locate an original. I am going to try again. I will take pictures!

Anonymous said...

http://tinyurl.com/plasticcups
:)

The one with the red string is an old one. One thing I noticed is that the old doesn't have sparkles - just really colorful transparent beads that fused together to look like delicious candy.

The other is my most recent half-assed attempt. I didn't have the right kind of beads, and I didn't have enough of them. The beads I had wouldn't melt at all. I put them in alone at about 350 for 20 minutes, and nothing happened to them! So, I put them in the cup anyways. I moved the cup around with a screwdriver when it had melted a fair amount. Since the cup is hard plastic, and these are done they are completely rigid. This one actually looks cool, as far as the shape of the plastic goes - I just need different beads.

What d' ya think?

Chelsea Maida said...

Oh VERY cool, m'dear!
That's stellar! I love the pictures as well.

I can't wait to go try it out.
Where could I contact you to show you my results?

Do you have a blogspot as well?
-CM!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chelsea Maida said...

Coolio, thanks!
And it has been deleted. :)
-CM!

* said...

Thanks a bunch for that.

Here's my latest experimental work in the Melted Plastic Cup medium:

http://tinyurl.com/plasticjellyfish

There's nothing I enjoy more than not doing the things that I'm supposed to be doing.

:)

Chelsea Maida said...

:) Awesome!
Ack.
I know he feeling.
I tried doing this cell-phone posting entries thing, but it won't work.
So now I've got to either nto do what I HAVE to do, (find a place to live?)
or do this.


I want both, damnit! :(

* said...

I wish you luck in both of these endeavors, and I also hope that you will soon know the joy of melting plastic - and you'll take pics!

:D